Monday, December 29, 2008

How to clean old oil paintings

Do you have an old oil painting lying in your backyard which you suspect looked good many years ago? If you observe those old oil paintings, you'll find many black spots - they are the black lead sulphide, which is the result of the reaction between airborne hydrogen sulphide and the paints.

You can easily remove those black marks and get a modestly fair painting from your old one.

Things you'll require:

1. Cotton wool
2. Hydrogen peroxide solution (Can be found at medical stores)


How to do it:
Soak the cotton wool in the hydrogen peroxide solution and rub it gently all over the paint. The discolored and black spots will go away.


Why? Lead sulphide is oxidized by hydrogen peroxide to colorless lead sulphate, which removes the spots.

This is just a very basic method and should only be used for educational or fun purposes, never for recovering serious paintings.


Previous post: Homemade carbide lamp (acetylene lamp)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, as you can see this is my first post here.
Hope to get some assistance from you if I will have some quesitons.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

Nagesh shukla said...

Thank you for the blog, this was very heplful keep it up!!!

Potassium Iodide

ONLINE MASTER said...

thanks u hv a good blog and i hv liked it

Anonymous said...

You are wrong to say that hydrogen peroxide reduces the PbS as it is an oxidizing agent...It actually oxidizes it and itself gets reduced to water...

goodearth said...

true, I have corrected it.